We want to encourage you to take action!
February is Heart Health Month
WVU Extension joins the Million Hearts national initiative to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes over the next five years. Heart disease and stroke are two of the leading causes of death in the United States. Million Hearts brings together communities, health systems, nonprofit organizations, federal agencies, and private-sector partners from across the country to fight heart disease and stroke. What can YOU do?
1. Take care of your own heart: Take interactive “What’s Your Risk?” quizzes to find your personal risks of heart attack, high blood pressure, and diabetes at http://www.hearthub.org.
2. Schedule a checkup with your healthcare provider.
3. Know your numbers http://www.goredforwomen.org/know_your_numbers.aspx
4. Post the 2012 February Heart Health Calendar where it will remind you of everyday actions to prevent heart disease. Heart Calendar 2012
5. Get 30-60 minutes of moderate physical activity most days of the week.
6. If you smoke, quit. Ask your healthcare provider how they can help.
7. Watch a 3 minute “Just a little heart attack” video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wmPWTnDbE. This is an entertaining yet sobering video to share with others, too.
8. Do you know CPR? In less than 2 minutes, learn a new “hands only CPR”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5hP4DIBCEE. Show this to your friends and family.