Office Information

WVU Extension Service
Kanawha County Office
4700 MacCorkle Avenue SE
Suite 101
Charleston, WV 25304

Phone: 304-720-9573
Fax: 304-205-7863
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00-4:00
Driving Directions

Happening in Kanawha County

flood_tomato After all the flood clean-up, many farmers and gardeners need to know what safety measures need to be done in order to ensure the health and safety of their livestock and the safety of produce from gardens. The following resources can provide valuable information.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your county extension office. For Kanawha County, call 304.720.9573 or email

Flooded Fruits and Vegetables

Gardens that have been flooded provide potential health risks. Some plants may be saved after flooding if edible parts (fruits, etc) are not present during flooding or if they are removed after flooding. Produce from flooded gardens should not be consumed raw. Crops shouldn’t be allowed to touch flooded soils for 90 days after the flood waters recede. For more information, check out this helpful document from the University of Wisconsin Extension.


Forage and Livestock Management Post-Flood

Hay, pastures, and feedstocks exposed to flood waters pose a risk to livestock health. WVU specialists have prepared basic information livestock producers should keep in mind after a flood. Find the information on the WVU Extension Page. For farmers who lost hay or pasture, we may be able to help find replacement hay for you. Please contact our office for more information.

Assistance available to farmers

Flood Assistance available to Farmers from WVU Exention: Farmers are encouraged to reach out to the WVU Extension office in their county if their farms have sustained flood damage during last week’s flooding. We can assist with an official damage assessment for insurance and recovery purposes. We may also be able to supply volunteers to assist with cleaning up and repairing farm structures/barns, replacing fences, replanting crops, and more. Kanawha County farmers should contact our office through Facebook, via phone at 304.720.9573, or email For farmers in other counties, use the link to find contact information for your county office.

Comments disabled

Comments have been disabled for this article.