Volunteer Projects & Continuing Education
Make sure your certification stays current by getting your volunteer and continuing education hours. All current Extension Master Gardeners must complete 20 hours of volunteer service and 10 hours of continuing education credits each year. The Due Date is: September 1st.
Submit hours here.
All volunteers must go through a vetting process. If you haven’t completed a volunteer application form within the last year and completed a signed code of conduct , you must do so to continue as a Master Gardener.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
To Submit a New Volunteer Project, Click HERE
To sign up for a work party or class that is being offered (CE or Volunteer), please follow these instructions:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on SignUp.com
2. Enter your email address (register an account on SignUp.com)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots – SignUp.com will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
Here are two helpful “how-to” YouTube videos to help you use SignUp.com:
How to Sign-Up on Sign-Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFby8xIKTI
Accessing & Changing Spots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np49K4-OgAM
SPRING INTO GARDENING PLANNING MEETING
A Spring into Gardening meeting is planned for Tuesday, January 24, from 6 to 7 pm at South Charleston Library. Spring into Gardening is our day of workshops geared toward the public. Those attending this planning meeting will brainstorm ideas on workshop topics, presenters, amenities for the day, etc.
If you have any questions, email Jennifer Soule at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 304 722 8132
CE and VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
The CE Committee is attempting to build a series of online CE sessions that members can view at home for CE credit. We are working on topics but slowly. If you would like to earn up to two hours credit per topic that can be applied to either hour requirement, follow guidelines below:
* Choose a topic(s) that interests you.
* Submit topic to Sara Welch (email@example.com) for committee approval.
* Once approved, research the topic, validate available info, gather URLs, write an approximate half-page summary of relevant information and submit your work to the CE committee.
* If you have the capability, please develop a PowerPoint presentation for your topic. If not, submit without it.
* Log time spent
SEASONAL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
HARRY’S GARDEN – Coonskin Park
MANNA MEAL GARDEN – Rock Lake
If you need volunteer hours, both Harry’s Garden and Manna Meal’s Garden are a great way to get lots of hours and meet your fellow gardeners.
Upcoming CE Opportunities
Please note that a number of our CE opportunities require a minimum number of participants, so if you are planning to attend, please call now to register for these events so that they won’t be cancelled.
If class times vary from the announced schedule, please report actual time attended.
The CE Committee welcomes volunteers to join the group. If you are interested, please contact Sara Welch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, January 27
West Virginia Nursery and Landscape Association has announced a “Winter Symposium” that is going to be held in Charleston on January 27, 2017 at Sheraton Hotel. This is a great educational opportunity for master gardeners and anybody who is interested in landscape design…sustainable, naturalistic design with new and exciting plants.
Details are available at https://wvnla.org/wvnla-events/2017-winter-symposium/
Master Gardeners have the opportunity to meet with Kanawha Bird Club as Doug Jolley presents “Plants to Grow Year’Round in your Garden to Attract Birds”
More info – TBA
Beginning Beekeeper Classes
Offered by the WVU Braxton County Extension Office
The WVU Braxton County Extension Office is sponsoring a beginning beekeeper course starting February 2. Classes will be held each Thursday (February 2, 9, 16, 23) from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Ag-Ed classroom at Braxton County High School. March 2 will be a backup date in case any classes are cancelled due to weather.
Pre-registration is required. The pre-registration deadline is January 27. Cost of the course is $15.00/person, which includes a Beekeeping manual. For more information or to register please contact Debbie Friend at the WVU Braxton County Extension Office at 304-765-2809 or email at email@example.com
Additional CE Opportunities
A gardening DVD has been approved for CE credit: “An Introduction to Plant Propagation” 635 I61 is available from South Charleston Library and possibly other libraries as well.
WV Small Farm Conference
Charleston Civic Center
1. CE credit available for attending the conference. $70/day. Schedule and registration information at http://smalfarmcenter.ext.wvu.edu/events/conference.
2. CE or volunteer credit for working as a volunteer during the conference. For CE sign up as a room assistant. Note that the topic that will be presented in each room is not yet populated at the link. Sign up at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1whYHz7rjD30PF6xeA9vgdzyj1uY2mAMhtIGPlrPL758/edit?usp=sharing
3. Winter Blues Farmers Market, Sunday Feb. 12, 1-5 pm, free admission.
2017 West Virginia Extension Master Gardener Conference
March 24 – 26, 2017
Location: Stonewall Resort Park
Roanoke, West Virginia
2017 International Master Gardener Conference
Join us at the 2017 International Master Gardener Conference<http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/2017imgc/>, July 10-14, 2017 in Portland, OR.
Online CE Opportunities
Online eXtension webinars (recorded version) for CE credit (report actual time)
All Bugs, Good and Bad Webinar Series: click HERE